Wednesday, 7 January 2015

7-1-2015



After reading and watching news story after news story about the horrific attack in Paris, I wanted to write a little post.  

Firstly, my most sincere condolences to all the families and friends of this victims in the attack. I cannot even begin to fathom what you are feeling. But just so you know, I feel proud of them for their free speech,  and how they have encouraged other's to speak freely also, without living in fear from those who organised this crime.  

It's amazing to see the support, love and general humanity of the French,  British, and around the world after this. Coming together to tell these people that you have just brought us all closer together. We are united in our causes and emotions about this event.
I think one of my biggest angers about this attack is that it was an attack on freedom of speech. I read an article on the BBC News app and one of the comments that was published was this:

'...Fraternity,  Equality and most of all, Liberty. Where freedom of speech is an alien concept there can only be tyranny. ' - Meryl Cumins.

I just find it disgusting that in 2015, our freedom of speech is being attacked, still!

'...Freedom of speech means what it says. It includes the right to be scurrilous and silly but it must remain...' - Roger Collinge.

I think where freedom of speech is involved, this is still an issue not just amongst this attack, this has just brought to light how ridiculously unnecessary this disaster was and the reaction from our countries should show that we are not afraid. Our freedom of speech is still here and here to stay. I think some people should take note of this event and look at themselves. If this happened every time someone spoke of how they felt, the world would be a tougher place. 

Also, just a little add, I love that the retaliation of the French (from what I have seen) is peaceful but gives the strongest message. They have just come together as a huge community and given a message that I don't think will go unnoticed.

Philippa x
SHARE:

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY pipdig