Sunday, 19 October 2014

The Hummingbird Bakery, I salute you.

Today's blog post is my favourite recipe from The Hummingbird Bakery's publication called 'Home Sweet Home'. I absolutely adore this recipe book and have tried and tested pretty much every recipe in it, and I just wanted to share one of my all-time favourites with you! It's the recipe for Chocolate Truffle Cookies, they're a glorious and easy recipe that would be a great gifting idea over Christmas as you will see by the decoration!
So first of all, line a large baking tray with baking paper. If you don't have a large baking tray feel free to use two smaller ones! Then, in a large mixing bowl, sift 80g (3oz) of plain flour, 25g (1oz) of cocoa powder, and 1\2 TSP of baking powder. What I did was weight out the ingredients, put them all in a bowl and then sift them together, to get a better mix of the ingredients!

I then stirred in 90g (30 oz) of caster sugar, before cutting 25g (1oz) of unsalted butter into small cubes, and added these to rest of the mixture. I then blitzed this in the blender until the mixture was of a 'sandy' texture. You can also do this with your hands if you do not have a blender!

I then whisked together one egg and 10ml (1\2 fl oz) of amaretto. Obviously if you're liking the sound of the recipe and you are not a drinker please feel free to take the amaretto out of the recipe!
Pop this into the rest of the mixture, and mix until of a doughy consistency. Then, place the mixture into some cling film and into the fridge! I had no cling film so just kept in the bowl. Place this in the fridge for 30 to 40 minutes.

Now, turn your oven on to 180°c (350°f), Gas Mark 4. Let this heat up whilst you do the next part of the recipe. Place 50g (1 1\4 oz) of icing sugar into a bowl or dish, and mould your dough into walnut-sized pieces. As you mould your dough, coat it in icing sugar, then place them on the baking tray(s). I chose to keep them in ball form, however if you squash them flat a little, they will be flatter when you take them out of the oven.

Place these in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes, and allow to cool until you do anything else with them. I suggest putting them on a cooling tray, as keeping them on the baking tray will carry on heating them.

And voilĂ , there are your cookies! Whether they are for personal consumption or as a gift, you can choose to display them as you wish. What I like to do is get some cellophane bags and ribbon, and package them to gift to friends and family! A lovely, personal Christmas gift! I hope you enjoyed this recipe and if you would like to checkout further recipes, you can purchase the Home Sweet Home recipe book for only £5 on Amazon.co.uk, absolute bargain!! 
Tah-rah for now! Philli x
SHARE:

3 comments:

  1. Hey girl! I just nominated you for One Lovely Blog Award. If you feel like participating check out the rules on my blog: www.thehappyblog.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love homemade cookies and I'll save this post for a future try! They look amazing ;) xx

    Mary Bloomy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were very yummy, the icing sugar does get messy though, just to warn you! :-P

      Philippa x

      Delete

BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY pipdig